Are you someone who prefers to stick to what you know? Do you feel like taking risks equals failure? If so, it’s time to change your mindset. Stepping outside of your comfort zone is the key to self-discovery and growth. You’ll be surprised at what you’re capable of when you challenge yourself. So, don’t be afraid to try new things, even if they make you a little uncomfortable. It’s worth it! Let’s explore in depth what your comfort zone is, and what self-discovery is! Read the blog post here, or listen to the podcast version to step outside your comfort zone for self discover!
What is your Comfort Zone?
Firstly, your comfort zone is everything cozy, comfortable and stagnant. Being in your comfort zone, means there is no room for unpredictability. Instead, everything is predictable. When we’re in our comfort zones, there’s no room for spontaneity, or guessing. Instead, everything is already figured out. Think about your comfort zone as someone who works a 9-5 job and has the same routine every single day. Every day, the alarm goes off at 6 am. Their morning routine is the same. Their morning workout consists of the same foundational movements: push-ups, squats, chin-ups. Then, they shower and eat the same thing for breakfast every day. Hard boiled eggs with toast and cream cheese. After breakfast, they get into their car, commute the same way every day, work 8 hours at their desk, then drive back the very same way. This routine is mundane as it’s the same very single day. In this daily routine, there is no space for magic, divine intervention, big magic, creativity, or freedom. Within a comfort zone, we are stuck like a hamster going around and around.
Why is it important to leave your comfort zone?
It’s important to push beyond your comfort zone because as human beings we don’t evolve, transform or reach higher states of consciousness when we’re cozy. Instead, as human beings, we change when we let go. Let go of daily routines, the mundane, the expected and totally embrace life as it’s truest form. Life is beautiful, unpredictable and magical if we allow ourselves to step outside our comfort zones.
How can you step outside your comfort zone in a way that’s safe and manageable?
Excellent question. We can step outside our comfort zone is large ways, or small ways. Smaller steps outside your comfort zone can be going to foreign restaurants, not planning every single minute of a vacation, and putting your phone down to just be. Of course, larger steps outside your comfort zone can be selling all your belongings and booking a one-way ticket to South America. I did that. I’m also about to take my husband, baby and huge German shepherd dog out of our cozy suburban lifestyle as we’re hitting the road to live full time in an motorhome. My experiences lead me up to embarking on something like this. I am used to living outside my comfort zone. After all, I am a female entrepreneur. I have to get out of my comfort zone if I want to land new clients and grow my business. So, there’s lots of ways to get out of your comfort zone.
Here are my tips for stepping out of your comfort zone in a way that’s safe and managed:
· Listen to your intuition – if you feel the need to spice up your life, start with small steps. Apart of me wants to say that you shouldn’t quit your 9-5 job and book a one way ticket to Asia. However, if that’s what your calling is, then pursue it. If your intuition is pulling you towards something, there is probably a bigger reason for it. So, this leads to my second tip
· Trust in the universe – Understanding that our little problems are just that – little. There is a whole universe that exists around us. We little fish in a big, big sea. One thing to really know, is when we step outside our comfort zone, the universe will lead us to where we need to go. Instead of trying to micromanage everything, let go. Learn to flow like water and trust in a higher power.
· Do your research – If you do have a calling to quit your job, sell your house, start a business, or whatever else is calling you to get out of your comfort zone, then it’s advisable to do some research about the endeavour you’re about to take. For example, back when I was 25 years old, I quit my 9-5 job because I knew I wanted to travel. Before going to Brazil, I got a volunteer position that secured me a place to stay. This was much better than just going to Brazil without any plans. So, if you do feel a calling to make a serious change in your life, speak to, or read about other people who have done it before you. If you want to start a business, but don’t know anything about marketing or business development, consider hiring a coach. Equip yourself with as much support as possible so that life outside your comfort zone can feel supportive and less overwhelming.
What are some of the benefits of stepping outside your comfort zone?
Wow, the benefits of stepping outside your comfort zone are endless. Well and Good.com indicates that stepping out of your comfort zone is good for you
· Positively impact your mental health
· Become more flexible, resilient and adaptable
· Support your personal growth
· Give yourself an opportunity for self discovery
· Awaken your consciousness
· Learn new things
· Meet new people
· Discover new cultures
· Learn new languages
· Change how your brain operates
· Let love reign instead of fear!
How do you stay motivated to continue pushing boundaries even when it’s uncomfortable?
I always stayed motivated by asking myself “what if I didn’t do it” “what if I don’t go”? For me, even though these leaps outside our comfort zone are scary as fuck, the alternative of not jumping is scarier. For me, the thought of staying stagnant, not evolving, not learning and not expanding my energy is a problem. So, as much as it’s scary to push boundaries, I do know that it’s only usually unreasonable fear that stops us from realizing our dreams.
What are some common fears associated with stepping outside your comfort zone? And, how can they be overcome?
Marianne Williamson’s book, A Return to Love is the perfect book for anyone who is afraid to leave their comfort zone. As, in a return to love, Marianne highlights the difference between fear and love. Essentially, fear is our egos talking. Fear is our ego’s disillusion of reality. Fear is not real. Only love is real. When we’re stuck in our fear, we can imagine our true destinies. So, to really overcome fear, you need to write down what it is that you are fearful of. Personalize fear. Accept it, and let it go. Often, things that were most fearful about, are not even worth our mind space. As human beings, we spend too much time being fearful and asking “what if”. But, instead ask “why not”. Overcome fears of stepping outside your comfort zone by choosing love. Have faith, believe in a higher power, and mostly believe in yourself. Listen to your intuition. As if you’re being called to evolve, it’s your duty to do so. What legacy do you want to leave behind? For me, staying the same was my motivation to go.
Are you ready to step outside your comfort zone?
Stepping outside your comfort zone can be a scary proposition, but it doesn’t have to be. With the right tools and planning, you can take small steps that will help you grow as a person and expand your horizons. And, once you get started, you may find that there are many benefits to stepping outside your comfort zone on a regular basis. I must warn you – once you go step outside your comfort zone and reap the benefits, you’ll forever be changed and transformed into the person you are meant to be.
Ready for more deep, soulful discussions? Discover how to be a soul lead entrepreneur.